Unfortunately; my husband absent-mindlessly bought his Mum a birthday card that was encased in plastic. Just goes to show how we have become so blinkered to plastic being there. Really, this is one type of plastic which HAS to go; it is just thrown straight in the bin and is totally unnecessary!!!! He is still feeling guilty.
The following post appeared on my Facebook page a couple of days ago. It is horrific, I don’t know how reliable this information is; I am only reposting.
A Beached Whale in the Philippines Died Due to Ingesting 88 Pounds of Plastic.
‘According to National Geographic, whales (and other marine animals, for that matter) can easily mistake plastic bags for food. When whales eat plastic, their bodies are tricked into thinking they are full, when in actuality, they are not ingesting any nutrients. Whales cannot digest the plastic, so as their stomachs fill up with plastic, they might get sick, lose weight, and become unable to hunt. “At some point their stomach fills up with trash and they can’t eat real food,” Regina Asmutis-Silvia, the executive director of Whale and Dolphin Conservation, told National Geographic. “You’re not getting any nutrients in and you’ve basically completely clogged your digestive system.”